Monday, March 28, 2005

Who Cares? at New Ruskin College

www.NewRuskinCollege.com

Lecture Notes: 03-18-05 Betrayal IV

What?

Bernie Ward? What is it?

Oh, the death of his father. I should not have ridiculed the sobbing comfort he took from the thought of the happy hunting ground high up in the cloud regions, where the fat relentless ego can go on and on for all eternity?

I should not have questioned the ego’s fondest belief and hope; the abstracted ego, isolated from the world, longing for never ending existence?

Why? Are Bernie Ward’s tears for his father worth more than my tears for my father? Recall that my father died at the end of November 1999, six years ago. Think that has my father’s body lay on this earth awaiting burial my room at the Colonial Motel was broken into and my notebook was stolen. (see Stolen Notebook at the Moynihan)

My father dead. And Michael Weiner on the radio, laughing, and reading from it. And the following week Mrs. Jack Swanson and Brian Wilson joined in. And the rest, Jim Dunbar, Ted Weygand, Ted Baxter, they all had their jokes about me, and my notebook, . . . . and my dead father?

Did his corpse figure in anyone’s thoughts?

And my tears? Did you concern yourselves with them . . . ?

But Bernie Ward’s tears; Bernie Ward’s grief; Bernie Ward’s dead father . . .

I wrote Yvonne a note. I had stopped seeing her after Duane Garrett’s death but I occasionally wrote. I accused Michael Weiner of the burglary, as he seemed to have exclusive access to the material in the stolen notebook the first week after the burglary, with which to torment me in my grief.

And Bernie Ward seemed to have had something to say to me and my grief, as my dead father lay on this earth awaiting his burial.

Words of comfort? Love and brotherliness? Sympathy? No, no, and no.

“I love it when conservatives go after each other!” were our theologian’s satisfied words.

Conservatives? Weiner? He is a conservative?

To show you just how clueless Bernie Ward is, I later wrote another note to Yvonne, and Bernie had something to say about that one too. No one at KGO or KSFO came forward in response to my note to her about the burglary. (see Dear Yvonne, The Love Letters at the Moynihan)

They all made references to the notes to Yvonne so I am sure she shared the notes with them, as I intended. But surprise, surprise no one came forward and said, ‘Right, now about that burglary I happen to know that . . .’

I pointed this out to Yvonne incredulously. Why not? For example, I wrote, ‘I could not understand why Bernie Ward would protect Michael Weiner? Michael Weiner accused Bernie Ward of molesting children and said that this is why Bernie Ward was no longer a Catholic Priest.’

The following Sunday on his God Talk radio show Bernie Ward made an apparent reference to this latest letter to Yvonne at the end of his first hour he said “When we come back we will take up the ‘M’ word . . .”

He thought this was a tease. He thought I would tune in to the second hour to see what he was going to say. This was 2000. Before the Farmers, CENCAL, and the GAB incidents, but after the burglary, after the IRS, after all the references, the following me from place to place, many flat tires, and of course the KQED show.
At that time, five years ago, I still thought that someone might still come forward, about the burglary, a felony, about that at least. So I had a keen interest in Bernie Ward. I was alone against all these powerful people who were harassing me, oppressing me.

And yet, as desperate as I was, I turned off the radio. Tune into another hour of the idiotic show? Is he nuts? Even as desperate and lonely as I was I wasn’t going to spend another minute listening to him!

But he, Bernie Ward thought that was really funny, “. . . we will take up the ‘M’ word . . .” Can you believe it?

His God Talk show consists of forcing his callers into the little logic boxes he learned from the Jesuits or who ever. Just like on is week night show he sees his job as one of moving the callers through. There is no time for reason, analytic examination.

You either believe or you do not. There is no persuasion no argumentation.

For example recently one young caller from San Francisco State called and making reference to the fact that the Democrats control both houses of the legislature, the Bay Area governments, the congressional delegation, the media, the universities, the whole apparatus of the state, why then, the young caller guilelessly asked, “Why don’t we enact a living wage?”

Well why indeed? But Bernie Ward did not have an answer. He hustled the caller off the show, ‘we have a lot of issues to cover . . .’

Bernie Ward lives in the bluest counties of the big blue State of California, but for some reason the liberal agenda never seems to get enacted. Always jam tomorrow never jam today.

But what could he say? There is no reason involved. He could not compare California’s economic environment with surrounding states and consider what affect this added burden would place on California’s business’ competitiveness. Taking that into account Bernie Ward might have steered the young caller to consider the other side of the coin, the other side of the economic transaction.

For example even if we could not risk increasing the minimum wage laws we might create the desired effect by lowering the cost of living. For example take housing as an example Bernie Ward might have reasoned with the young student. Are there ways we could lower the cost of housing in the Bay Area?

Did the caller know that the President of San Francisco State had for the last 16 years held a large student dormitory off of the housing market because he was trying to get the Federal government to give the university more money? Did he or the caller know this?

Bernie Ward did not ask this question. Did not discuss how the Democrats with their strangle hold over every level of government over these same sixteen years have steadily down zoned the city of San Francisco and the Bay Area. How, for example, the building codes also have been used to limit the supply of housing: the minimum size of a housing unit has steadily been increased, while the permissible height of buildings has been lowered.

Bernie Ward could have invited the student to do a “radio” survey of the apartment buildings around San Francisco and date them. Could have “showed” him how apartment buildings were built in the 1940s, and 1950s, even a few built in the 1960s, but that then the moratoriums started to strangle the city. Could have contrasted this with Paris, or Hong Kong, where apartment buildings are still being built to this day.

The student could have been encouraged to consider if the character of a people can not be seen in their cityscape? Are the cities built for people, with children, families? Or are the cities built for business, tourism, to increase the city revenues and lower the city’s service costs, so the city can put more political cronies on the city payroll?

A city for people or for the politicos who control the city? Whose city is it?

And to show you what a fool Bernie Ward is, he does not know why his ratings are always so low. Does not know why his party is losing popularity. Does not know why George Bush won reelection. Does not know . . .

So, to answer your question, no. No, I do not think Bernie Ward’s tears for his dead father are worth more than my tears for my dead father. Tears I shed as Michael Weiner read from my stolen notebook. And the staff of ABC KGO and KSFO laughed and laughed . . .

“. . . The advancement of cultural values, however, seems to become a senseless hustle in the service of worthless, moreover self-contradictory, and mutually antagonistic ends. . . . . Culture becomes ever more senseless as a locus of imperfection, of injustice, of suffering, of sin, of futility. . . . . And under the very conditions of 'culture,' senseless death has seemed only to put the decisive stamp upon the senselessness of life itself.”

www.NewRuskinCollege.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home