Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Paul Duke at New Ruskin

www.NewRuskinCollege.com

07-25-05

This is a story of two houses.

You live in one house. I in the other.

Did you notice Sean Hannity, (Hey, Buddy!), hasn’t had anything more to say?

No more pokes? No more Jibes?

Give me one last smack before I go? Hey I know, I bet you a dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steak House . . . you don’t want to play? And I thought you were a player Sean. Buddy?

And this too is part of the story about the two houses. Hannity lives in one with the Tiburon billionaires, and I live in the other one.

But first I want to tell you how I came to see Yvonne again----

Counselor: You are rambling.

No, no, I will get back to the houses but first I want ----

Counselor: You are tired. Why don’t you get some sleep?

And I want to talk about those who condemn the Muslims for being violent while demanding we commit nuclear genocide. I want----

Counselor: Remember what your mother used to say?

What? . . . My mother? What do you ----

Counselor: She would say everything will look better in the morning. Remember?

How?

Counselor: And she has been right so far hasn’t she?







Paul Duke in Memoriam

“We are no relations. Not that Clan.
Not that Clan!--- Paul Duke

After writing a number of letters to President Bush, (41), and the Senate, Mr. Bush and several Senators began responding to my letters with veiled references during press conferences or from the floor of the Senate. Over time as they learned of my letters and the interest shown, many members of the press started making references of there own to what I had written. It became a kind of game I think.

I took no particular interest for I had intended to write about laser disks in education, do what I could to promote technology in education, (I had promised myself when I was in school that I would “do something,” (for there seemed no reason to me, then or now, why we had to make education so miserable), and then I planned to kill myself. This was before I met Yvonne and came to think that there was any alternative.

(Now, after fifteen years of harassment and oppression I am again brought to the end. Ironically it is because of the attention the letters achieved that I was followed and persecuted, first by the “oh so cool liberals” at KQED, then the lunatic Michael Weiner, and then by everyone else, Ron Owens, Don Imus, Michael Krasney, Mrs. Jack Swanson. Envy? Was it Envy? God knows. After fifteen years they have ruined me and I am again forced to seek refuge from time.)

Unintentionally I contributed to the “game” by limiting the distribution of the letters. I started off sending copies to all Senators but gradually limited “membership” to those who responded. I would mail several dozen letters at a time but only to the select group of Senators who had made some covert reference. (For example, one Senator, who was not included on the distribution list made some statement about my most recent letter and in the next one, addressed to him, I congratulated him on his acceptance to the club.) Then as members of the press learned about the letters and came to understand the covert references they too started to play, making references of their own to what I had written. It became a kind of game I think.

Washington Week in Review became a venue. For example after mentioning Buddhism in several letters the regular correspondent Hanes Johnson, (I believe his brother is Chalmers Johnson one of whose books I had quoted, (Japans Public Policy Companies, as I recall, (all my books are in boxes, (I could not bring myself to give them away after all, (but when I’m dead what the diff?))))), commented “There are a lot of conservative Buddhists in Japan.”

Part of the joke here is that in America Buddhist are all liberals. But you have to figure that the reason people are attracted to foreign religions is because they are dissatisfied with their own religions, and if dissatisfied with their own religions you can expect that they will be dissatisfied with much else. Rebels.

So American Buddhism is colored by this fact that most of its members are liberals, Greens, radicals, i.e. misfits. Alan Watts and most teachers, (the good ones), are at pains to try and point out this misperception, to correct this misinterpretation. For example the Tao Te Ching comments than one should not “display weapons.” Watts commented to his young students, this was the 1960’s, that the word is “display” not own. But most Americans assume Buddhist are leftists because of the self selection process among the small group that control Buddhist centers in America, a situation not unlike that with our colleges, where a small group of radicals are also in control.

Paul Duke himself made several references to what I had written in a number of letters. I recall that I had had some success with one letter, after which a number of personages commented. (see July 30, 1991, Senator Bradley, in the New Ruskin Project Archives at the Moynihan Memorial Library) I had pointed out in that letter that the South had been settled by Celtic peoples whereas the North on the other hand had been settled by the English.

I pointed out that much of the North South difference is really Celtic English differences. For example, “Black Pride”, I claimed, could be traced back to “Southern Pride”, and I said , “Southern Pride” can in turn be traced back to “Scottish Pride.” One Senator appeared on the floor of the Senate and seemed to make a point of saying he had “pride” in his State, in his people, etc. (Senator Gore as I recall.)

Then later Senator Moynihan was appearing on TV with someone, (the former quarter back who was Secretary of HUD), who was as usual extolling Adam Smith and our “Anglo Saxon traditions----.” Senator Moynihan interrupted him, “Celtic sir, Celtic, Adam Smith was Scottish not Anglo Saxon; let’s have no more of your Anglo Saxons.”

Also in that letter I made a point to explain that in the South clan was an inherited form of social organization, and that Black Americans had themselves also formed extended family groups under the Celtic influence of the clan tradition. Eleanor Holmes Norton that week seemed to go out of her way to claim that Black Americans had inherited their extended relations from their African roots and not from their Celtic slave masters.

Then Paul Duke ended the week with a Friday broadcast of Washington Week, by saying that several letter writers to his show had asked if he was related to David Duke, the notorious David Duke who was at that time being used to attack conservatives, including me, (see Senator Hollings).

Said Paul Duke: “We are no relations. Not that Clan. Not that Clan!”

I was not amused.

www.NewRuskinCollege.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home